Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

We collected New Year's resolutions from as many state and local officials as we could. If you'd like yours added to this list, email us!

Some gave us personal ones, some professional, and some both. Enjoy.

Rep. Eliot Engel: “My New Year’s Resolution is to have the Democrats return to the House majority, this way we could pass a real jobs bill and protect the middle class.”

Mayoral hopeful Tom Allon: “My New Year's resolution is to be an even better father to my three teenagers and a better media CEO, all while I am communicating my message of job growth ideas and real education reform to the voters in NYC. If I can accomplish all three of these in 2012, I will consider it a successful year, personally and professionally.”

City Comptroller John Liu: “For 2012, I resolve to uncover more waste to help the difficult budget outlook, to reform the way the City pension investments are made, to ease up a bit with my third base coaching of my son’s little league, and to check out the Corner Café in its new location.”

State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli's New Year's Resolution: Use stairs more and elevators less.

State Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Joe Martens: To do all that I can to protect New York's precious natural resources, consume less energy and promote sustainable communities and  jobs, both personally and professionally.

Yankees broadcaster Suszyn Waldman: "To be a little kinder to myself."

Jean Cruz, the Bronxite who found Saddam Hussein: To move out of New York City, to a quieter place, like Ohio, to raise his four young children.

Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.: Learn how to cook dinner (Latin and Italian). Also, to help bring more jobs to the borough.

Bronx Chamber of Commerce President Lenny Caro: Would like to create jobs for the borough, and to make it one of the best boroughs to live and work in.

Bronx Historian Lloyd Ultan: "I never give New Year’s resolutions. I give old years resolutions, I’m a historian!"

50th Precinct Commanding Officer Captain Kevin Burke: To reduce crime and improve the quality of life for the residents of the 50 Precinct.

Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz: "Unlike some of my colleagues in government, I won’t be making a resolution regarding any political issue, other than continuing to work hard for our neighborhood, resolving constituent complaints, passing good legislation in 2012 and fighting hard to re-elect President Obama and defeating the Tea Party Republicans. Rather, my resolution is more personal. December 31, 2010 was the last day I ate cake, cookies, ice cream or candy. I haven’t had these yummy sweets all year – and I intend to continue not to have any. Resolution made. Resolution carried out. This year my resolution is going to be just as tough for me. For 2012 I intend to do something that I have never done in my entire life: eat one or more vegetable each and every day. What an amazing feat that would be!"

City Councilman Fernando Cabrera: Personal: Go back to the gym and pay more attention to his health. In Government, to strike a deal by Feb. 12 that will legislate guaranteed access for churches at New York City public schools.

City Councilman G. Oliver Koppell: to lost weight and do more exercise. Professionally, to get the living wage bill passed.

City Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez: "Once the weather warms up, I think we're going to see a huge surge in activity from the Occupy Wall Street movement. My prediction is that by working together with elected officials, OWS will influence the budget process. Organizing with thousands of city residents, the movement will stop the Mayor's pattern of balancing the budget on the backs of working and middle class New Yorkers. Apart from Occupy Wall Street, I also predict that State Senator Adriano Espaillat will soon be changing his title to Congressman Adriano Espaillat, taking his long history of great work for Northern Manhattan and the Bronx to Washington, D.C."

City Councilman Jumanne Williams: "My personal resolution is to take a few off the waistline. In fact, I'm getting a jump-start on that this week. My professional resolution is to continue to shine a spotlight on the issues of gun violence and police accountability. These should be discussed in tandem in the overall consideration of creating a safe place for our young people to learn and grow. Remember, it's never too early to get started on your goals!"

Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz: “I have to commit in 2012 to lose weight. I easily went up one size and in order to fit into my shirts and suits again, I need to really ‘lighten up, Brooklyn!’”

State Senator Gustavo Rivera said he thinks about it right before the New Year; takes a few minutes to sit down and consider the last year and the upcoming year. He did point out that it was a good year and hopes for more of the same.

State Senator Rev. Ruben Diaz Sr.: “As the end of the year approaches, I praise and thank the Lord for so many blessings that I received in 2011. I thank the Lord for my family, my health, my constituents, my faith community, my colleagues, and for all of my achievements this past year.  It was a great year! As we prepare for the New Year to begin, I pray especially that the Lord will bless all of my friends and all of my foes. I will continue to place my trust in His mercy and love, and I will continue to pray that the Lord will use me at all times to serve His will.”

State Senator Tony Avella: He would like to stop hydrofracking in New York State.

No comments:

Post a Comment